Some people new to Boomerang may be sceptical about how it works, which is why we created this article to go in depth on each main ingredient in the drink and how it helps prevent a hangover. Each ingredient has a scientific case for its use, and we have taken the information from studies and explained everything as simply as possible so you can understand why Boomerang works.
Curcumin (Found in Turmeric) - Curcumin helps with the metabolism of alcohol, which is broken down in the chemical compound acetaldehyde; The body does eventually break it down, but it takes a long time, Curcumin helps to break it down a lot more quickly.
The human body cannot directly clear alcohol. It must first break alcohol into acetaldehyde which is a well known chemical compound which causes the hangover, this compound is 20 times more toxic than alcohol itself! Because of the toxic nature of acetaldehyde, the amount and length of acetaldehyde exposure can add to the severity of a hangover. Curcumin enhances the ability to eliminate acetaldehyde at a much faster rate than the body normally would.
Milk Thistle (active ingredient Silymarin) has traditionally been used for many years as a herbal method to promote healthy liver functio. Milk Thistle helps prevent alcohol-induced stress in livers.
Prickly Pear is a well known anti-oxidant.
Symptoms of a hangover can be largely due to alcohol activating inflammation in the body. And the Prickly Pear has been found to diminish an over-reactive inflammatory response to stressful stimuli, therefore helping reduce the hangover
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) - Studies have shown that taking NAC can contribute to avoiding damage to your liver from alcohol consumption. NAC works by helping to increase glutathione production which helps break down acetaldehyde, therefore NAC reduces alcohol-induced stress and liver toxicity.
Vitamin C & B Complex are extremely important for the human body. Studies reveal that alcohol intake can reduce absorption of these crucial vitamins. Not having enough vitamins can lead to various health problems such as a lack of energy and weakened immune system.
Taking Vitamin C & B complex after drinking alcohol can increase total vitamin absorption and stop the negative effects from alcohol and protect your body's natural enzymes so you can stay healthier and sharper the next day.
Boomerang also has more Electrolytes than leading sport drinks, this will help you stay hydrated through the night and help your body recover faster. Boomerang doesn't eliminate the need to stay hydrated so you should still drink enough water before bed so the electrolytes are most effective.
Boomerang also contains ingredients such as -
Green Tea Extract
Red Ginseng Extract
Korean Pear Extract
Goji Berry Extract
All these are added and help towards a better morning after.
- Life Sci., et al. "Low doses of curcumin protect alcohol-induced liver damage by modulation of the alcohol metabolic pathway, CYP2E1 and AMPK." 2013 Nov 4;93(18-19):693-9
- Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban., et al. “Technology and Methods Simultaneous Determination of 9 natural ingredients in Function food for Anti-Hangover and Hepatoprotection” 2017 May;48(3):464-470
Milk Thistle (Silymarin) -
- Lieber, Charles S., et al. “Silymarin retards the progression of alcohol-induced hepatic fibrosis in baboons.” Journal of clinical gastroenterology 37.4 (2003): 336-339
- Song, Zhenyuan, et al. “Silymarin Protects Against Acute Ethanol‐Induced Hepatotoxicity in Mice.” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 30.3 (2006): 407-413.
- Das, Subir Kumar, and D. M. Vasudevan. “Protective effects of silymarin, a milk thistle (Silybium marianum) derivative on ethanol-induced oxidative stress in liver.”Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics 43.5 (2006): 306.
- Wellington, Keri, and Blair Jarvis. “Silymarin: a review of its clinical properties in the management of hepatic disorders.” BioDrugs 15.7 (2001): 465-489.
Prickly Pear (Opuntia Ficus Indica) -
- Wiese, Jeff, et al. “Effect of Opuntia ficus indica on symptoms of the alcohol hangover.” Archives of Internal Medicine 164.12 (2004): 1334-134 Effect of Korean pear (Pyruspyrifolia cv. Shingo) juice on hangover severity following alcohol consumption.
Korean Pear -
- Food Chem Toxicol, et al. "Effect of Korean Pear (Pyruspyrifolia cv. Shingo) Juice on hangover severity following alcohol consumption." 2013 Aug;58:101-6.
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) -
- Ozaras, Resat, et al. “N-acetylcysteine attenuates alcohol-induced oxidative stess in rats.” World journal of gastroenterology: WJG 9.4 (2003): 791-794.
- Jaya, D. S., J. Augustine, and V. P. Menon. “Protective role of N-acetylcysteine against alcohol and paracetamol induced toxicity.” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry 9.2 (1994): 64-71.
- Seiva, Fábio Rodrigues Ferreira, et al. “Effects of N-acetylcysteine on alcohol abstinence and alcohol-induced adverse effects in rats.” Alcohol 43.2 (2009): 127-135.
- Swift, Robert, and Dena Davidson. “Alcohol hangover.” Alcohol Health Res World22 (1998): 54-60.